top of page
Christa Shaw Pavillion.jpg

Our History

The Lion's Legacy

The Mt. View Lions Club has been supporting the Mountain View Community in Anchorage Alaska for over 65 years. Initially, Mountain View was an independent neighborhood situated on the Davis Highway between Anchorage and Eagle River. The Club was sponsored by the Spenard Lions Club and officially chartered as a club of the International Association of Lions Clubs in October 1958.

In its early years, the club held meetings at restaurants, emphasizing community service projects. Some of the early projects included filling in abandoned wells and fundraising by operating carnivals at the corner of Bragaw and Mt. View Drive, the current location of the Red Apple Grocery.

Around 1967, our Lions Club successfully secured a lease for an 11-acre parcel from Elmendorf Air Force Base. With the assistance of Elmendorf AFB and Fort Richardson civil engineers, as well as contractors paving the Mt. View residential streets, the park was prepared. The first playground equipment installed was a 10-foot-plus high straight slide, which was replaced 55 years later with a new 8-foot slide and twist seats. Additionally, the historic multiple-level rocket with an "escape slide" was added with the assistance of Lion Bert Shaw, owner of Shaw Tool Rental on Boniface Parkway.

Various amenities such as park playground equipment, pavilions, tennis and basketball courts, horseshoe pits, baseball fields, concession stands, and picnic areas were added with the volunteer and financial support of the community.

During the 1970s and 1980s, the club thrived with year-round community activities, including those in and around Fur Rendezvous during the winter.

Let’s Work Together

PO Box 140167

Anchorage AK, 99514

Tel: 907-277-9209

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page